- Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan-forced.
- Using a sharp knife, score the ham fat (not the flesh) in a grid pattern at 2cm wide intervals. Insert a clove into the centre of each square of fat.
- Wrap the ham hock in foil (this prevents it from burning). Place the ham on a greased rack in a large baking dish lined with foil. For ease use a large disposable foil roasting dish.
- To make the glaze, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring, over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Brush ham two to three times with the glaze to evenly coat the ham fat. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, brushing with remaining marinade every 15 minutes, until ham is golden and caramelised. Arrange star anise (used in the glaze) on the ham in the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Set aside to cool for 30 minutes. Slice and serve.
Click here to watch our Christmas Ham video tip