- 600g Scottsdale Pork spare ribs, rind removed, cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup Chinese cooking wine (or sake and mirin)
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, grated finely
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt flakes
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper (or mixture of peppercorns)
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 cup plain flour (or potato flour)
- Marinate pork in wine, ginger and sugar for 20 minutes.
- In a frying pan or wok, fry peppercorns and salt flakes over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium. Coat the ribs with a few tablespoons of flour and a generous serve of the salt and pepper mix.
- Deep-fry in 2 batches for 2-3 minutes each. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Increase temperature of oil to high. Re-fry ribs in batches for 1-2 minutes, until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper